On November 12, 1939 in Washington, DC, a group of canonists established the Canon Law Society of America as a professional association dedicated to the promotion of both the study and application of canon law in the Catholic Church. Today, the Society’s membership includes over twelve hundred men and women residing in thirty-five countries. In serving the leadership of the Church and the People of God, the Society and its members remain active in this responsibility by continuous research and study for a constant renewal of canon law and by offering practical assistance to members of the Church.
The Canon Law Society is governed by a Board of Governors elected by the membership. Its headquarters are located in Washington, DC in the Office of the Executive Coordinator at the Hecker Center. The Society is incorporated as a non-profit corporation in the District of Columbia.