Rev. Phillip J. Brown, JCD
Rev. Phillip J. Brown, pss, JCD
- Member of the Society of Saint Sulpice
- Priest of the Diocese of Bismarck, North Dakota, ordained 1989
- JCL, Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, 1997
- JCD, Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, 1999
Experience in Ministry and Especially Canon Law:
- Rector/President of Theological College of the Catholic University of America
Général (General Treasurer), Société de Saint Sulpice
- Assistant Professor of Canon Law, School of Canon Law, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. (2006-2010)
Consultant: Archdiocese of Baltimore, Archdiocese of Boston, Diocese of
Wilmington, St. Mary’s Seminary & University (Baltimore), Order of
the Most Holy Trinity, Conception Abbey Seminary/Conception Abbey (MO),
The Jospehites, JP Morgan Chase Banks
- Tribunal Judge, Diocese of Bismarck (1999-2001)
- Adjutant Judicial Vicar, Diocese of Bismark (1999)
- Professor of Canon Law, St. Mary’s Seminary & University (2001-2006)
- Dean, School of Theology, St. Mary’s Seminary & University, Baltimore, MD (2004-2006)
- Pastor-St. Wenceslaus Church, Dickinson, ND (1999-2001)
- Pastor-St. Philomena Church, Glenburn, ND (1990-1995)
- Chaplain-Bishop Ryan HS, Minot, ND (1989-2005)
- Chair-Priests Personnel Board, Diocese of Bismarck (1992-1995)
- North Dakota Catholic Conference: Holiness of Human Life Committee (1991-95); Board of Directors (1999-2001)
- Priests’ Benefit Association (Retirement Board)-Diocese of Bismarck (1990-95; 1999-2001)
- Vocation Team-Diocese of Bismarck (1993-95)
- Board of Directors-Abused Women’s Resource Center, Minot, ND (1991-95)
- Advisory Board-Clinical Pastoral Education Program, Trinity Hospital, Minot, ND (1992-95)
- School Board-Trinity High School, Dickinson, ND (1999-2001)
Service to the Society:
- Member since 1999
- Chair, Canon & Civil Law Committee (2003-2008)
- Pre-Convention Workshop "51 to 1: Issues in Canon and Civil Law" (2005)
- Consultor, Board of Governors (2007-2010)
- President, Board of Governors (2013-2014)
- Canon Law and Seminary Formation,
"The Interpretation of Canon Law: A Concise History from Gratian to CIC 1983," Appollinaris
(Canon Law Journal of the Lateran University, Rome), Spring 2004.
"Justice Law and War,”
August 18-25 2003.
"The Non-Sacramental Internal
Forum: A Matter of Conscience,”
22, no. 1, January 2008
General de Derecho Canónico , s.v."Declarative Interpretation; ” "Extensive Interpretation; ” "Restrictive Interpretation; ” "Strict Interpretation, University of Navarre, Pamplona, 2008.
"Free Exercise and the Incarnational
Nature of the Catholic Faith,” Festchrift in Honor of Jack Lynch, The Jurist 68:1 (2008) 223-251.
"Canon Law: Faith or Reason?” in Between Text and Context: Hermeneutics
and Scriptural Politics in Religion and Human Rights, published in Proceedings
of 2006 Conference on Hermeneutics,
Canonique: Foi ou Raison” (French
language version of "Canon Law Faith or Reason,” translated, edited and
re-written by the author, presented for publication in Revue de Droit Canonique, Strasburg 2008.
- "Prescription & Statutes of
Limitation,” CLSA Proceedings of the
Seventieth Annual Convention, (Washington: CLSA, 2008) 383-451.
"Due Process in American Civil Law
and The Right of Defense in Canon Law,” CLSA
Proceedings of the Seventieth Annual Convention, (Washington:
CLSA, 2008) 355-382.
"Canon 1692 (Legal Separation): A Pastoral Option,” Studies
in Church Law IV (Bangalore,
India: St. Peter’s Institute, 2008) 215-252.
"The Juridic Structure of Catholic
Schools in Canon and Civil Law,” Proceedings of the National Catholic Education
Association SPICE Conference (2008).
"Square Pegs in Round Holes: Toward A
Better Model of Parish Civil Law Structures,” The Jurist 69:1 (2009) 261-310.
"The 1983 Code and Vatican
II Ecclesiology: The Principle of Subsidiarity in Book V,” The Jurist 69:2 (2009) 583-614.
"Structuring Catholic School Boards,”
Proceedings of the National Catholic
Education Association SPICE Conference (2009).
"Societies of Apostolic Life: The Evolution of a Canonical
Institute,” The Jurist: Festchrift in
Honor of Sr. Rose McDermott (Catholic University of America-School of Canon
"Defining a juridic person: A
cautionary note from a canon lawyer.” Short article in NCEA Notes, March
- "The Perils of Bankruptcy: Rights and Obligations Regarding
Clergy Support,” Studia Canonica 45:1
- Rotal Jurisrudence:
Selected Translations, (contributor; Washington: CLSA, 2011) 191-212;
- "Lex Iurandi Lex Credendi,” Bulletin Saint Sulpice, 2012/01.
- Practiced civil law-Bismarck, ND (1979-1985)
- Trial and appellate experience in all state and federal courts in ND.
- Member of the Bar of the United States Supreme Court (1987-present)
- Member: The United States Supreme Court Historical Society
- Law Intern-U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons-Regional Office, Kansas City, MO.
- Special Assistant Attorney General-State of North Dakota State Pardon Board; Parole & Probation Dept.
Boards: Early Childhood Development Program (Bismarck, ND), Abused
Women’s Resource Closet (Bismarck, ND), Native American Urban
Re-Location Program (Bismarck, ND), Laotian/Southeast Asia Mutual
Assistance Association (Bismarck, ND)