Each applicant must complete a Canon Law Society Scholarship Application (.pdf) no later than April 15th of the calendar year for consideration for the next funding year. Applications should be mailed to:
Canon Law Society of America
Office of the Executive Coordinator
415 Michigan Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20017-4502
Please take note of this new mailing address (Michigan Avenue), effective January 2016.
A COMPLETE APPLICATION INCLUDES:
- A completed licentiate or doctoral application form.
- A resume/curriculum vitae of the applicant’s academic training and professional experience;
- Transcripts from the undergraduate and graduate schools;
- A letter of acceptance by a faculty of canon law from a pontifical university for an applicant beginning the first year;
- A typed statement [no longer than two pages] from the applicant expressing: (1) the reasons for studying canon law; (2) the need for this CLSA scholarship; (3) the projected five-year plan for work as a canonist after graduation
- A letter of recommendation from one’s bishop, religious superior, or a diocesan official;
- Three letters of recommendation, each addressing the applicant’s academic ability and potential professional competence for canonical ministry.
The receipt of applications will be acknowledged by the Office of the Executive Coordinator.